Tamarind chutney/Imli ki chutney is a traditional and must have dip for almost all Indian street food,chats and snacks. The recipe is quite simple by mixing jaggery and spices into tamarind puree, its tasty secret lies in use of black salt. The combination of jaggery and black salt provides a taste and flavor that no other ingredient can do. This Chutney You can use for almost all chats,pani puri,dahi vada etc. So lets starts the recipe..
1/2 cup Tamarind/Imli puree or dried one
3/4 cup finely chopped Jaggery (Gur or Gud)
1 teaspoon Red Chili Powder
1 teaspoon Cumin Powder(Freshly dry roasted and grinded)
1½ cups Water
1/4 teaspoon Black Salt (kala namak)
- Boil the dried tamarind in 2 cups of water over low flame for 8-10 minutes. (If you do not want to boil tamarind, then soak it in 1¼ cup hot water for 30 minutes.)
- Let it cool and after it cools just prepare tamarind pulp .
- Crush boiled tamarind into puree using mixer-grinder/food processer, strain and discard any residues.
- Transfer tamarind pulp to pan and add jaggery in it. According to your desired sweetness add jaggery.Bring it to boil and cook on medium flame until jaggery dissolves completely.
- Add red chilli powder, cumin powder, black salt and salt, mix well.
- Turn off flame and allow it to cool.
- You can store this refrigerator for up to one month for anytime use.