This post should be done before but due to bad health I was unable to post on time.Like every year, this year also we celebrated Ganesh Chaturthi and performed puja at home and offered him some of his favorite dishes ..But this time I did a small arrangement because we both (me and hubby)got viral fever so decided to go for a small arrangement and I couldn’t able to prepare a lot of dishes this time.But I believe it’s important that whatever we choose to do, it’s should be done with faith and devotion.This year along with modak I prepared Puran poli.
Now coming to the recipe…Puran Poli is a very popular Maharashtrian dish made using chana dal and it’s a great option to serve on festivals like Ganesh Chaturthi and Diwali.
For the stuffing:
1 cup chana dal/split Bengal gram
2-3 tsp refined oil/ghee
1/2 cup powdered jaggery
1/2 tsp cardamon powder
1/2 tsp red chilli powder(optional)
1/4 tsp nutmeg/jaiphal powder
For the dough/outer covering:
1 cups of whole wheat floue/atta + 1/2 cups of all purpose flour/maida
2 tbsp- oil/ghee
salt to taste
water as required to knead the dough
refined oil/ghee as required for frying the puran poli
- Wash and soak the dal for 1-11/2 hours.
- For preparing the dough, mix wheat flour and all purpose flour,add salt,little oil/ghee and start and kneading the dough by adding small amount of water a time .Just like parartha dough.
- Cover the dough and keep aside for 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile pressure cook soaked dal and drain out the water.
- Mash the dal by pressing it.
- Now heat a non stick pan and add little oil/ghee to it.Add the dal and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add jagerry and cook on midium flame.Soon the jagerry will melt.Keep stirring it.
- When the jageery will melts completely the dal consistency will be thin.But don’t worry cook the dal and keep string it.
- When the dal starts thickens scrap the edges of the pan and bottom to prevent sticking.
- At this stage ass red chilli powder,cardamom powder,nutmeg powder and mix.
- Note:Red chilli powder is totally optional.I love bit spicy so to add some extra flavour I have added it however you can skip red chilli powder.
- Let the stuffing cool.
- Meanwhile divide the dough into equal portions and make balls.Flatten it with help of your palm.
- Put the stuffing in the center and seal the edges.
- Flatten it with the help of your hand.
- Now dust some flour and roll out the ball into 6-7 inch diameter.
- Heat a tawa on medium heat.Place the puli and cook from both sides.
- Add some oil/ghee on the top and fry the puli.
- Flip the other side and repeat the process.
- Once cooked from both sides take out the puli from gas and serve it.
Below I have shared some of my Puja Pictures:
Ganpati Bappa at Our Apartment…….