We Bongs prefer to have Khichuri/Khichri specially during Monsoon.It’s a very well-known Bengali dish associated with the monsoon; rice and dal cooked together and Served with ghee & lots of different fries….
But sometimes in winter season we prefer to have Khichuri/khichri with all the veggies and we called it “siter Khichri”(winter khichri).Other than this mainly we prepare this for puja “Prasad/bhog”purpose..mainly on Durga Puja..While I prefer khichri with Moong dal,but some people prefers Masoor dal also.
RECIPE TYPE: main course
CUISINE: Indian, Bengali
SERVES: 2 person
1 cup govind bhog rice/basmati Rice
1 cup moong dal/lentil
1 tomato/tamatar, chopped (optional)
½ tsp turmeric powder/haldi powder
½ tsp red chili powder/lal mirch powder
½ tsp coriander powder
½ tsp garam masala powder
1 medium potato(cut into 4 pieces)
½ cup green peas
1 cup cauliflower(cut into small pieces)
1 inch cinnamon/dalchini
2 green cardamom/choti elaichi
1 bay leaf/tej patta(big,if small take 2)
1 tsp cumin seeds/jeera
1 tbsp ghee and 1/2 tbsp oil
1 tsp sugar or as required (optional)
2 dry red chilies
5 cups water
Salt to taste
- Wash the rice in water and keep aside.
- In a pan Dry roast the moong dal till some of the dals turn light golden and aromatic.
- Heat ghee and oil in a pressure cooker.
- first fry the whole spices till they become aromatic -cinnamon, cardamom, dry red chili,bay leaf and cumin.
- The cumin should also crackle when frying the spices.
- Now add the tomatoes and saute till the tomatoes become soft.
- add turmeric, coriander,red chili powder and then add the chopped veggies – potato,cauliflower and peas and saute for a minute.
- Add the roasted moong dal and the drained rice and stir well.
- stir and then pressure cook for 1 whistle on medium to high flame.
- once the pressure settles down on its own, open the lid of the cooker and add sugar and garam masala and mix well.
- serve the bengali Kichuri/ khichdi with Begun Bhaja(baingan bhaja),Aloo Bhaja/aloo fry,Fried/roasted Papad or with any other fries as side dish and also don’t forget to add extra ghee on the top of the khichuri/khichri while serving for extra flavor.
This recipe of khichdi has been made in the pressure cooker. If making in a pan/kadai then soak the rice for 30-45 mins .