“Breakfast Like a King, Lunch Like a Prince, and Dinner Like a Pauper”…Breakfast is the most important meal of the day and we should not skip it at all.But unfortunately I am not that lucky to have a lavish breakfast everyday like a king.:P Due to time limitation most of the days I grab a piece of cake or a piece cookie and run out of the door . If somehow I can able to manage a little time then may be I pour some milk over corn flakes or put some butter on toast and quickly finishes off.However when it’s comes to weekend I have enough time to go for a good Breakfast.A lazy weekend is incomplete without an extra-special breakfast.Right???So I decided to treat myself with some lavish Breakfast.But at the same time I don’t want to spend much time in the kitchen or I don’t want to try something complicated which needs hours to make.I want a recipe which is less time consuming,easy yet delicious.After much thinking I decided to go for an English breakfast.Sounds perfect isn’t it??
Now let me explain what does a typical English breakfast consist of??
A full traditional English breakfast is a breakfast/meal that typically includes bacon(traditionally back bacon), sausages, fried/ poached or scrambled eggs,fried bread or toast with butter.Fried mushrooms,fried or grilled tomatoes, Black pudding, baked beans, bubble and squeak and hash browns are often also included.The food is traditionally served with a mug of tea or coffee.But according to my choice I have modified it a bit.I don’t eat chicken,meat,pork so I didn’t include sausages or bacon in my breakfast plate instead I choose to add garlic sauteed green beans.Even you can add mushroom or black pudding if you want to.I have added fresh bowl of strawberry also.I decided to serve it with a glass of milk however if you exclude the fruit(strawberry)you can serve this with a cup of tea or coffee.But to be honest my personal favorite is paring English breakfast with a glass of mulled wine.
I guess for this simple breakfast I don’t have to share step pictures so lets have a look at the recipe…
2 slices of half a tomato
2 tablespoons butter
1 (220g) tin baked beans
1 large egg
2 slices whole wheat bread/brown bread
salt and pepper, to taste
for Buttery Garlic Green Beans:
100 gm of fresh green beans
3-4 cloves of garlic
1/2 tsp of freshly grounded pepper
salt to taste
1 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon of olive oil
- Toast the bread in a toaster or even you can use oven.I prefer hard toast but you can go for lightly toasted one.
- For the poached eggs,add little olive oil in the pan and break the egg straight into the pan and cook the egg as per your preference.Season with salt and pepper and gently remove it from pan.
- For the tomatoes, cut the tomatoes across the center/or in half length ways if using cherry tomatoes , and season it with salt and pepper and drizzle with a little olive oil. Place it on a grilled pan and cook it over medium heat for 2-3 minutes until tender.Gently turn over and season and cook it same way.
- In a saucepan add the baked beans and over a medium heat saute it till it gets little warm,stir frequently.
- For the Garlic sauteed green beans I followed this recipe.
But I modified the recipe according to my taste.I have reduced the butter and added olive in it.Also I didn’t use lemon pepper.Instead I used freshly grounded black pepper.
- Once everything is cooked and ready arrange all the things in a plate.Serve hot with tomato ketchup or brown sauce.
Pan sauteed mushrooms
Fried Potato wedges