As the month of October starts,festive season is just knocking at the door and this the most special time for all the Bengali’s all over the world. Our biggest festival, Durga Puja is coming. Only 13 days left for Durga Puja.
Durga Puja marks the victory of Goddess Durga over evil demon Mahishasura. The festival is celebrated for 10 days , although there is more enthusiasm during the last 4 days .Durga Puja commemorates the annual visit of the Goddess with Her children to Her parents’ home, leaving finally on the Dashami to be re-united with Shiva.
This is the most happiest time for me.I am very excited because I will be going to my hometown for 15days,break from work and routine life,time for new clothes,accessories,shoes,jewellery and most importantly this is the only time when i can able to spend some quality time with my parents and sister.Probably this is the last post before Puja and this post is related to Durga Puja..
- 2 cups maida/all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp ghee /oil
- water as required
- salt – a pinch
- 1 cup-ghee /oil for deep frying
- · In a mixing bowl, add the flour, salt, ghee and half cup of water.
- · First mix everything with your hands so that the ghee or moyenincorporates very well in the mixture and then knead the dough by adding water as required. Knead to a smooth and soft dough.
- · Cover the dough with a moist cloth and keep for a minimum of 20 -30mins.
- · Make small balls,apply oil and with the help of rolling pin make luchi.
- Fry in hot oil and take out in a kitchen towel.
- · Soak the dal for 30-40 minutes and drain the water well.
- (Note: if you want to reduce the soaking time, then soak the dal in hot water for 15-20 minutes.)
- · Boil the soaked chana dal with water in the pressure cooker(add pinch of salt while boiling the dal).
- · Pressure cook the dal for 2-3 whistles.
- · The grains should be separate and yet cooked thoroughly.
- · once the pressure settles down on its own then remove the lid ,add sugar and stir and and keep the cooker on a low flame to simmer the dal, till the water reduces a bit.
- · When you add the tempering to the dal, it should have the right consistency
- (Note: As the dal cools it will become more thik in consitency)
- · Meanwhile take a pan and heat ghee or oil and prepare the tempering.
- · first add all the whole spices – bay leaf,zeera,cardamom and dry red chilies.
- · fry till they become aromatic. this takes some seconds.
- · add the asafoetida and fry for a few seconds.
- · Now add the coconut and fry till the coconut becomes light brown.
- · pour the whole tempering mixture in the simmering dal.
- · stir and then add cumin powder, red chili powder
- · simmer cholar dal for 1-2 minutes more.
- · serve cholar dal with luchi, Bengali peas kachori.